Wharton Summer High School Programs
Leadership in the Business World
Supported by the Wharton School of the University of Pennsylvania, Leadership in the Business World (LBW) is an intensive summer program for a select group of rising high school juniors and seniors who want an introduction to a top-notch undergraduate business education and the opportunity to hone their leadership, teamwork, and communication skills. Since 1999, LBW has brought students from six continents and nearly every state to the Wharton School.
Program Dates: Session 1: May 30 – June 19, 2021; Session 2: June 20 – July 10, 2021; Session 3: July 18 – August 7, 2021
Priority Application Deadline: February 26, 2021
Final Application Deadline: April 15, 2021
Applications will be accepted until the final deadline, or until each session fills.
Location: The Wharton School of the University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, PA, USA
Eligibility: High school students currently enrolled in grades 10-11 with demonstrated leadership ability. International applicants are welcome.
Applications for summer 2021 programs are now open.
Designed to provide students with a glimpse of Wharton’s undergraduate curriculum, LBW offers opportunities to learn about leadership in 21st century organizations through a dynamic and rigorous mix of classes with Wharton professors and business leaders, company site visits, and team-building activities.
Each summer, LBW students:
- Attend lectures and presentations from outstanding Wharton faculty and guest speakers
- Participate in classroom discussions about core business subjects, including research-based theories of leadership and teamwork
- Practically apply real-world business practices through Wharton Interactive’s digital simulations and case competitions
- Have the opportunity to engage with and learn from current Wharton students who serve as Teaching Assistants (TAs) throughout the program
- Visit business enterprises and speak with successful leaders across the industries of finance, entrepreneurship, entertainment, real estate, retail, and more
- Develop and enhance leadership skills by working collaboratively to design and present an original business plan to be evaluated by a panel of business professionals
- Participate in weekend and evening cultural and social activities
- Test their potential as future business leaders
Admission and Eligibility
Admission to LBW is highly selective. Each year the admissions committee receives many more applications than there are available places. Wharton will select approximately 120 students to attend across the three sessions. Selections are based on a record of academic excellence, demonstrated leadership, and a genuine interest in developing leadership skills. Interested students are strongly encouraged to submit an application by the priority deadline.