Wharton Global High School
The Wharton Global High School Investment Competition is a free, online investment simulation for high school students (9th to 12th grade) and teachers. Students work in teams of four to seven, guided by a teacher or other advisor. Together, they learn about teamwork, communication, risk, diversification, company and industry analysis, and many other important aspects of investing.
Numbers from last year’s Investment Competition
* 2020-2021 Participation Numbers
Missed Our Information Sessions?
Watch our webinar recording to learn the basics of the Wharton Global High School Investment Competition, see a demonstration of the WInS trading simulator and how to register for the competition, and hear answers to common questions.
About the Competition
Teams examine a brief case study featuring a potential client and are tasked with working collaboratively to meet that client’s short- and long-term investment goals as they try to win his or her business. Equipped with an approved stock list (a selection of domestic and international equities) and the Wharton Investment Simulator (WInS), which allows them to buy and sell stocks, over the course of 10 weeks students develop an investment strategy, analyze industries and companies, and build a portfolio using $100,000 in virtual cash. Winners are selected on the strength and articulation of their team strategies, not on the growth of their portfolios, which is a key differentiator between this investment challenge and others. During the competition each team submits two deliverables.
Final reports are reviewed by a team of judges, who select 50 semifinalist teams. Those teams are invited to present their strategies to a panel of expert judges at the virtual Semifinals. The top 10 teams from the Semifinals move on to the Global Finale at Wharton in Philadelphia.
Why Join the Competition?
- It’s run by the Wharton School, a world leader in business education
- You get to explore the exciting world of securities and strategies
- You learn about risk, diversification, company and industry analysis and more investing basics
- You develop teamwork, leadership and communication skills
- You enhance your college and scholarship applications by building your résumé
- You have a chance to compete against teams from around the world
- You learn finance skills that will last a lifetime
- It’s free and fun!